Budding engineers and scientists got the chance to create brush bug monsters and pizza base hover boats at this year’s Devon County Show, supported by Babcock International Group (Babcock).
Over 800 students, teachers and parents converged at the Babcock marquee to learn about more about STEM, (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths), and how to get involved.
Youngsters from Trinity School, Buckeridge Road, Teignmouth, were amongst many to try their hand at making the brush bug monster whilst others created pizza base hover boats using simple electrical circuits.
A submarine simulation, built by graduate mechanical engineers at Babcock’s Devonport Royal Dockyard facility, demonstrated how submarines use sea water to provide drinking water and how they raise and lower in the water.
Babcock Future Talent Development Manager, Rebecca Fraser, said: “Babcock recognises the importance of engaging with schoolchildren at a young age to help showcase some of the exciting and varied career paths they can go into when they’re older. It’s fantastic to see that everyone had such as fun time at the show as well as using it as a chance to learn something new!”
In the South West, Babcock STEM Ambassadors deliver STEM workshops and set up STEM clubs in schools, offer whole year group visits, teacher training and work experience placements at Devonport Royal Dockyard and support special national projects like Big Bang and the Industrial Placement scheme.
In its commitment to STEM, Cavendish Nuclear, a wholly owned subsidiary of Babcock, asks all its graduates and apprentices to become trained STEM Ambassadors. They then support schools and teaching staff across the country in raising awareness of STEM as a career.
Notes to Editor:
- Babcock Education business is part of the wider Babcock International Group which is a listed FTSE 100 company.
- Babcock Education is the UK’s largest integrated school improvement and support service provider, working with more than 1000 schools and academies through long term partnerships in over 50 Local Authorities. It employs over 600 education specialists who provide the breadth, depth and quality of leading-edge consultancy, training and management services improving life chances and outcomes for local schools and children.
- Babcock is the UK's leading engineering services company operating in both the UK and overseas, delivering critical assets, infrastructure and training support to many sectors, including transport, defence, energy, telecommunications and education.
- We take great pride in the considerable depth and breadth of our people's expertise. Our c. 35,000 skilled staff design, build, manage, operate and maintain assets that are vital to both our public and private sector customers.
- Our market-leading reputation is based on one key fact: Babcock is a partner that can be trusted to deliver.
Tel: +44 (0) 7834743426